Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Give all the Arabs Nukes?

I was sitting down talking to my buddy Marty today and he had a very interesting idea. He wants to give nukes to Iran, Jordan, Syria and Egypt. At first I was shocked, he is a very conservative guy and is very intelligent. I thought he was just making a joke but then he made a very good point.

If all these countries have nukes what would be the incentive to actually use them. He cited the cold war as his example. Russia and the U.S. both had enough nukes to destroy the world several times over. Why did this not occur? A nuclear strike would ensure the destruction of both nations. He is correct. Neither the U.S. or the Russians were willing to take that step.

My counter argument was what would stop these countries from providing the material or the actual bomb to an independent terrorist organization to use on foreign soil? His response was repercussions would be too great for them to take that chance. This is where we disagreed. I think it would be a big jump to think once a rogue nation such as Iran or even North Korea to all of sudden have a sense of responsibility. Marty countered with all exploded nukes can be traced back to the mining of the materials and then the responsible party would be exposed. Marty also believes that the loss of revenue and trade would deter these nations as well.

Marty made some great points and it does make sense if you remove the fact that some of these nations are run by lunatics. When you believe God is on your side and you are doing his will reason goes out the window.

I enjoy my conversations with Marty and will continue to write about them. I hope you do to.

No comments:

Post a Comment